Dinnertime Questions To Ask Your Tweens & Teens
It happened the other night… We instituted our new rule about putting phones away at the dinner table. And then we sat there. We’ve lost the ability to start a conversation with the kids without scrolling through social media, pulling news headlines, or looking at their grades and classroom updates in their school’s app. And the kids were also at a loss. So we’ve compiled a list of starter questions, just to get the ball rolling….
FUN WARNING: You may get some eye rolls, but if you make a habit of instituting some of these (or even turn it into a game), you may ALL end up having a great time! To make a game, print this blog post out, cut the questions into strips, and keep a bowl of questions on the table. You can all take turns pulling out the strips!
- Who is your favorite band or musician?
- What is your favorite book? Why?
- What is your favorite thing to do outside?
School & Education
- What is your favorite class? Why?
- Is there a language you want to learn?
- What would you like to learn more of in school?
- What was something that made you laugh today at school?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing I do (a parent needs to ask this one)?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- What is your favorite family activity/event?
- What’s your favorite family recipe?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What is your earliest/first childhood memory?
Granted, if you drill too much with these questions, they may feel like they’re on a job interview…
- What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? 10 years? After college?
- What do you wish you knew how to do that you can’t right now?
- Do you think you are a procrastinator? Why?
- If you could be famous, would you? What would you want to be known for?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is your biggest goal in life?
- What is your dream job?
- What’s your favorite thing to do when you feel bored?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
- What was your last dream you can remember about?
- Do you believe in soulmates and true love? Love at first sight?
- What makes you laugh?
- If you could go back in time to any point in history, where would you go and why?
- What’s your favorite game to play?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- Who is the funniest person you know? Why?
- What do you think the most about during the day?
- Who do you think knows you best?
- If you could pick your own name, what name would you pick for yourself?
- If you won the lottery, how would you spend the money?
- If you could meet anyone dead or alive, who would it be?
- What would be your perfect day?
- What’s the best compliment you’ve ever gotten?
- What are three things you are grateful for today?
- If you could own any single object that you don’t have now, what would it be?
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
- What’s the best thing about being your age right now?
If you want to keep reading about technology and parenting, please check out our other blog posts:
- How Technology Is Disrupting Creativity
- Finding Self-Worth Outside Of Social Media
- Putting Yourself On The Top Of The List
Smart Girl Society, Inc., is an Omaha-based nonprofit working to educate and inspire Smart & Confident girls, women, & families. Through educational workshops, civil outreach programs, and technology & social media research, we work with girls, parents, & educators to authenticity on social media and in real life. We educate how to remain safe on social media and how to avoid becoming a target of sextortion. We also inspire action for students to focus on their personal brand development, leadership, educational opportunities, and healthy social skills. Interested in learning more? Check us out!